Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mt. San Bruno Hill Climb

Scott and I woke up early on New Year’s Day to ride to our favorite hill, Mt San Bruno. It was chilly, but we road to the start, which was a great warm up for our first race of the year. The course starts at the bottom of Guadalupe Canyon Road and I had the privilege of starting seconds after the Pro/1/2 men with the rest of the Women 1/2/3. Just after we started the juniors came storming by us with their young testosterone. Then other strong men pulled around us and I got a nice pat from Scott coming by. I had a slow start… I don’t know whether it was the cold, the buzz kill when people fly by you off the start, or that it didn’t really feel like a race since we do this hill all the time. I caught up to the wheel of Birgit Cory, a nice Hill & Co rider I had been chatting with at the start. The two of us took turns pulling until we got in the park. The park is my favorite part and I stood up as we entered and went on to chase as many people as I could see. It got really foggy as we went up, but I kept picking off people one by one. I heard some nice cheers at the top even though I couldn’t see anyone. No one was that close to me at the finish (at least no that I could see) unlike it Scott's finish. He went on to drop all the guys in this photo. Scott finished 16th and I got 4th. It was weird to see so many people on top of the mountain… it’s usually so desolate up there. We went on to do an epic ride in the hills south of San Francisco. It was a great way to start the day and the New Year and I put this on my list of races to do forever…

No comments: